Knit Garter Stitch Kimono Courtesy of Bernat.
This fun wrap-style kimono top is comfy, soft and great for layering.
Skill Level: Easy
- St(s) = stitch(es); in(s) = inch(es); dec = decrease; alt = alternate; beg = begin(ning); cont = continue; RS = right side; inc – increase
- 6 (12-18-24) mos
- To fit chest measurement: 17 (18-19-20) ins [43 (45.5-48-53.5) cm]
- Finished chest: 21 (22-23-24) ins [53.5 (56-58.5-63.5) cm]
- Yarn: we used Bernat® Baby Coordinates yarn(140g / 5 oz), available at Walmart: 1 (2-2-2) ball(s) of 09612 Daisy Yellow
- Boye® 3.75mm (US 5) knitting needles
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- 22 sts and 42 rows = 4 ins (10 cm) in garter st.
- The instructions are written for the smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
Right And Left Front (Make Alike):
- Cast on 52 (55-58-63) sts. Work in garter st (knit every row) for 2 ins [5 cm].
- Dec 1 st at beg of row on next and every following alt row to 35 (38-47-50) sts, then every following 4th row from previous dec to 31 (33-36-39) sts, ending at armhole edge.
- Cast off 7 (8-9-10) sts beg next row. 24 (25-27-29) sts.
- Dec 1 st at front edge on every following 4th row from previous dec to 12 (12-14-15) sts. Cont even until armhole measures 4 ¾ (5-5-5 ½) ins [12 (12.5-12.5-14) cm]. Cast off.
- Cast on 58 (61-64-69) sts. Work in garter st until total length measures same as front before armhole shaping.
- Cast off 7 (8-9-10) sts beg next 2 rows. 44 (45-46-49) sts.
- Cont even until Back measures same length as Fronts before shoulder.
- Cast off.
- Place markers 2 (2 ¼-2 ½-2 ½) ins [5.5 (5.5-6-7) cm] from sides for shoulders.
- Cast on 33 (35-39-39) sts.
- Work in garter st, inc 1 st each end of needle on 5th and every following 8th row to 51 (55-55-61) sts.
- Cont even until Sleeve from beg measures 8 (9-9 ½-10) ins [20.5 (23-24-25.5) cm], ending with a RS row.
- Cast off.
- Place markers along sides 1 ¼ (1 ½-1 ½-1 ¾) ins [3 (4-4-4.5) cm] down from cast off edge.
- Pin garment pieces to measurements. Cover with a damp cloth, leaving cloth to dry.
- Sew shoulder seams. Sew in sleeves, placing rows above markers along cast off sts of Front and Back to form square armholes.
Ties (Make 4):
- Cast on 25 sts. Cast off.
- Sew 2 ties at beg of front shaping on each Front and 2 ties at side seams 2 ins [5 cm] up from cast on edge of body to match front ties.